Thursday, May 6, 2010

Our Adventure Downeast Pays Off
I got a call from a friend on Tuesday asking if I might want some of her mom's old wicker for one of our cottages. Yes, please! I said. The only catch was that I had to drive to Brooksville, ME and could I come the next day as she and her brothers had sold the house and were cleaning it out. She assured me that the wicker was old and "really sturdy." She said there were two chairs that I could have a party on, they were so sturdy. I figured we were talking old rattan, but I was game and Greg wanted to come along too, so adventuring we were going to go! We also had an errand to run in Trenton, ME where we dropped the prop from the boat off to be cleaned and polished.

Well, as you can tell from the photo above, we did alright. Seven pieces of vintage wicker, all in the Bar Harbor pattern, including two large arm chairs, seen below.

and two smaller arms,. as well as two slipper chairs and a round table where my friend's mother used to place her champagne cocktail at night while she watched the osprey circle over the cove below their house. We also scored some newish wicker bedside tables, an aray of fireplace tools, including a 5 foot tall twig broom that I wanted for Little Bohemia .

We also went dumpster diving and came up with a few other pieces of new wicker for use outdoors here at our house. Rain does terrible things to wicker, so the plastic stuff works great outdoors.
I asked my friend to give us a price and told her point blank that whatever she said, I would counter offer. She said $300....I said $200 and we agreed on $250 plus we helped them haul a huge and heavy sofa bed out to the dumpster. What I think is also cool is that the large vintage wicker console table that came with Sunnyside is also a Bar Harbor pattern and matches the chairs. So, besides three beds and a couch, I think we are all set with furniture for Sunnyside!....oh right, I still need a dining table and chairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment