Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shoulda bit my tongue during the last post when I was talking about drizzle and rain. While I was away, that was about all it did up here. More rain in one day than we are used to and the cottage has the leaking roof and the water in the garage to prove it. I went over yesterday to chat with the plumber and told him to watch his step downstairs as it was probably pretty wet from the rain. He comes up from there while I am sweeping and says "so were you trying to be funny when you told me it might be a little wet down there?" I said "why, are there puddles?" He said "No, no puddles, just one big pond!" The garage, which I dug out last fall, but failed to fill back up with stone, had gathered all the water because it is the low point. and there was about 5" of water floating around. The rest of the basement was pretty dry considering the rain, but boy, was it wet. By this morning, all of the water has sunk back into the ground, but I'd better do something about it before the "mud season" starts in earnest.
Meanwhile, we are having terrible troubles with the roof on the new addition, which keeps leaking. I know where the leaks are and we were going to put a rubber membrane on that portion of the roof anyway...we just have to do that a bit earlier now.
Spent the day getting ready for the foam guy, who comes next week. I had to take out the rusty storage shelves in the basement and go through all the rusty cans and bottles and containers. Jeez, what a lot of old rusty stuff. I've kept the containers that still have liquid in them so that I can dispose of them properly....there is more wood stain and other fine Minwax products than you can shake a stick at. And I finally got rid of the rest of the old wood pile that was sitting up on the porch, along with the old 6' tall pine doors. Now that folks are returning to Bayside for the summer, I don't want the place to look like too much of a rat trap!

No comments:

Post a Comment