Tuesday, February 16, 2010

ran into a glitch today that was totally my fault. I kept thinking to myself that I didn't want that big closet in the master bedroom for which we had planned. It is too big for a summer cottage and really takes up most of the usable space in that bedroom. I would rather have an armoire in the room on one wall and then a chair or a small couch against the wall to make a comfy seating area.

Well. I wasn't thinking about that when my man Josh was up there today finishing off the wall framing on the second floor. When I got there this afternoon, there was the closet, big as life. After careful consideration of its size and the space, I came to the conclusion that I have to rip it out.

In the plan of the upstairs, I don't think we took into account that steps that have to be built to get up to the sliding glass doors. If we left the closet in place, the bedroom would be little more than a space with a bed, a table, a closet and steps to get up to the door...I want the space to be more than that...I want renters to have areas in the house where they can relax, rather than just rooms with beds.

Already, the increase for the stairway and the closet in the second bedroom has made that room a lot smaller than I expected. I will have to reverse the plan of the room and have the beds on opposite walls. The niche created by the stairs and the closet is just the right size for a single bed and the wall opposite will take a queen bed and tables nicely. The double doors and the closet make a nice open center space to the room. I think we'll be looking at closet organizers to make the most of the space so we won't have to have a chest of drawers in that room. Uncluttered will be the mode in this space to keep the open feeling of the upstairs.



Met with our friendly electrician today. I was surprised to hear from him this afternoon since I had only left him a message this morning. He wants to start in on rewiring on Wednesday of this week! I told him that I needed time to process the next phase and could we start on Monday? Sign of the times up here that one of the busiest electricians in town can start right away on rewiring the house. He thinks that three days will do it. Electric phase will be done by the end of next week! Things are moving quite along.

Davie, my electrician, said that he used to run around Bayside as a kid. He was blown away by the view from the bedroom upstairs and he kept referring to it, saying that he would be spending all of his time out on that deck on the second floor if the house was his...there is not a person who walks into this place who doesn't comment on the perfect location of the house to the water and to the rest of Bayside. Makes me feel good.

Davie also says that he might be able to move the electric wires from the pole to the house by running them underground. I will have to talk to the town about that and come up with a plan. There is a 15 foot wide town right of way that runs from the pole past the house, but I am afraid that we would run into problems with the neighbors. I believe there is enough room to run the wires up the side of the road and onto our property, but I have to check with the village about setbacks.

1 comment: