Saturday, February 20, 2010

I can see progress! It is the one thing that keeps me going on this place, that I can see the end of the tunnel. A lot of times renovations can get the better of a person or persons and all of a sudden there are all these hidden things that jump out and bite one's wallet. So far, that hasn't really happened here (fingers and toes permanently crossed) One of the things that appealed to me about Sunnyside was that it was a shell, with all it's flaws exposed. I was just thinking today that when I showed the cottage to my sister and asked if she would be a partner in the endeavor, she balked and said the renovation costs would be too much. I knew better.

I find myself cleaning and organizing for phase six, the electricians, who come on Monday. Below are photos of the original front parlor of the house. We have only taken out about four feet of the original parlor, but on the other hand, we have opened it up to the rest of the downstairs, making it feel a lot bigger. In my space planning head, I see a pullout couch and coffee table in this corner, and if I can fit it another chair facing the couch in the left of the photo with another chair and lamp in the corner of the stair, where I am standing to take the photo.



This plan would allow for full opening of the front doors in the summer.


I would like to put a desk at the bottom of the stairs here, and then perhaps mount a TV overhead in the corner, between the two windows so that it is visible to the rest of the room. The desk may make the room too crowded, there might just be bookshelves in this corner, kind of the kid activity corner.




After the electricians finish, all we will need is a bit of insulation and then the walls for this part of the house. I am very excited for it won't take but two or three days to finish the walls and trim here. I am taking this project one room or phase at a time and it keeps me grounded and not so overwhelmed.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for saving my sister's house and making it so beautiful with all your love and vision.

    ReplyDelete