Friday, February 19, 2010

I want to share my madness. Now that I can see the cottage taking shape, I am constantly looking for furnishings. This amazing Victorian daybed is coming up for auction in North Carolina. It is English rather than American, which will keep the price down, made of maple, and is fashioned to look like bamboo. It comes up for sale on Sunday and I have a left bid on it. I don't think I'll get it because my bid was low, but we shall see. It would be a perfect day bed for the second floor guest room, and would fit perfectly into the day bed niche that we made in that room.

I spent a good amount of time at a local auction the other night. I found a very comfortable chair. I totally wanted it for the house; same period, would look great reupholstered, and very solid and comfortable. It was cataloged as Gothic Revival, but was actually a Renaissance Revival chair. I could see where it would go, I could see it all waxed up and good looking, but I couldn't see spending as much as the bidder on the phone wanted to, especially for a rental house. So, I didn't get it. Sigh.

The bathroom has been framed out on the first floor. I have gotten so used to having the downstairs open like a loft that it's a bit of a shock to see so much space taken up by the bathroom. My man Josh has not been pulled to work on other projects, but has had the stomach flu that's going around. He was supposed to work all yesterday getting the stairs all finished framed and getting the bathroom done, but it appears that he had to go back to bed or something because the framing didn't come together. It could have been that I told him to order two new floor joists and a 4 x 4" support beam to tie into the stair supports and so he had to wait for those, but since there is no bathroom at the cottage, I can see not really wanting to be there too long if I had the stomach flu!

We are off again next week for five days of work related travel. Greg is having a show in Florida and I am tagging along, dragging a new project with me to complete on the beach. It's a research project into a private collection. We are back for three days and then down to New York City for another show and for me to pick up a table I bought for a client. I know the electrical will be done by the time we return, and I wanted to get the plumbing squared away by then, but my goto plumber has not returned my calls. My other plumber is somewhere in the middle of America on a well-deserved road trip with his hunny.

I am going to try and contact the spray foam dude today again too.

flame on!

No comments:

Post a Comment