Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wednesday:
We are finally getting full power hook-up today, Central Maine Power will be at the cottage at 8:30am to get things rolling. Yesterday was a well deserved day off, though Greg and I did go and find a Whirlpool side by side fridge with water and ice maker for the cottage as well as a roll in stove. As soon as the kitchen counter tops are secured, we can add the stove and have a real working kitchen! In about a week, we will be able to add furniture to the bedrooms (I want to let the floors cure for a while before putting anything on top of them.) and then the place will be habitable.

OK, first mishap today happened when I was cleaning and organizing again. I was up in the second floor bathroom and went to pick up something, knocking the green floor paint can onto it side.....the top was not firmly attached and I spilled green paint on the bathroom floor! Luckily the tiles were sealed, but the grout was not, so I ended up staining the grout....nothing took it off, so I figured I would have to grout over it....but a razor and a bit of scraping on Larry's part got the color right off the grout....my hero!!

CMP canceled today because of the rain, so they will come on Friday. Greg started in on prepping the plywood floor with leveler so that we can lay the cork tile on Friday, when it will be sunny and warm and dry again. I painted second coats of trim color in the small bedroom and then the cavalry arrived, Larry and Josh came to work. All in all, we got the upstairs closet built and the door hung, the downstairs fridge cavity in the kitchen boarded over, the deck planned and the materials ordered, and a master plan going for the final stages of Sunnyside 2010.

Also talked with Butch at Parenteau Flooring about laying down our cork tile. He and his crew laid the cork down at the Belfast Library and our tile and that tile are very similar. The weird thing about cork that I have found is that every manufacturer has their own adhesive that they want you to use. Since we got our tiles at Marden's, a close-out surplus place, there was no accompanying adhesive. Butch took a lot of time out to show me the glue they they used at the library and to look up what we should use and how to use it. He gave me some good tips about laying the tile, and I ended up buying my glue from him. Kudos to Butch, if I ever want someone else to lay my flooring, I will go to Butch.

I still cannot figure out a color to paint the downstairs walls!!

Thursday 6am:
Still obsessing about color. Also obsessing about the Jenair roll in stove that I saw yesterday....too bad it is black and not white...Also realized that it needs to vent outside and I don't want another complication in my life with the cottage.

I am trying to clean off the porch of useless things so that we can finally pull the table saw and the chop saw out of the house on rainy days. Yesterday got three doors off the porch, today will see the painted furniture go back into storage. I also think we are pretty much done with scrap wood, so I feel a dump run coming on today.

Got a quote to install a new garage door from PDQ doors $2300.....OUCH!!!! That, I cannot afford right now.

Sigh....off to the salt mines (Last May, Greg and I visited the salt mines in Poland, they were very cool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment