Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Greg's family just left and we are saaaaaddddd to see them go! What amazing troopers they were to do all the work they did. I cannot believe how much we got done with them here. I was expecting to only get the two bedrooms painted, but the nieces set to work finishing the bathroom trim and painting furniture outside and scraping some of the old paint off the side of the house while their mothers taped and sanded and painted and never complained a bit. (unlike me) I whitewashed the living room ceiling and painted a lot of the guest room, and then painted it again!


We decided to color wash the walls, essentially staining them with paint.
I mixed a color for the smaller bedroom with one part water and found that after we painted the WHOLE room, the color was too dark. I fretted and fussed and fumed, and then decided, on Greg's suggestion, to white wash over the very dark blue. (the original treatment looked like a pair of fresh blue jeans after one wash). A one to one bright white to water created a second surface that really lightened up the room, toned down the paint, smoothed out the surface, and gave a look of faux-weathered boards. The blue triangle above the window was the original wall color. The trim color is bright white tinted with the blue from the downstairs bathroom. The floor color is also what is on the walls.

I really like it. The whole paint process for that one bedroom took four days and we still have some touching up to do. I am sore all over... I never want to paint an18 foot ceiling again!

The master bedroom is a wonderful green color wash with the full strength color on the floor. The floor color matches the original colors of the upstairs floor, and I really like it too.

1 comment: