Saturday, June 5, 2010

I was in Aubuchon Hardware the other day, and a lovely woman looked at me and said "You're Mainecliffdweller, right? I read your blog." She was very complimentary about the progress on the cottage, which was nice. I do think that she used to read my first blog, "MaineFoodie," the one that I probably could have developed into a business, but got bored with it instead. Now there are Maine food blogs everywhere, but I was one of the first.

So, we continue to fly at the cottage. Both bathrooms are now almost done. The upstairs bathroom looks amazing! I am envious of the copper tile around the tub, it looks like pennies pressed into the walls, and Greg did such an amazing job at laying them perfectly straight.
As I keep saying, the textures are a strange combination in the upstairs bath, with the copper tile, the slate floor and the greenish sandstone walls, all with deco fixtures, but it works!

I saved the old mirrored medicine cabinet from the previous bathroom....remember this photo? See where the ceiling starts here? We raised it about two feet.


Here is the cool pocket door for the upstairs bathroom, its a maple door with the original glass inset panel at the top. It's a seven foot door, so no one can see in. I am debating about whether to find a piece of stained glass to inset over the clear glass. Because this is a pocket door, I cannot put a curtain over the glass because it won't fit.
Please do not look too closely at the downstairs shower tile, which had a bit of trouble going up! I got pretty good yesterday using the tile wet saw, which I always thought was a bit scary, but really, it's easy once one gets the hang of it. I had to cut a few of the glass tiles to fit into the corner where there was a gap. We are adding grab bars and the shower hardware and I think after the grout goes in, and the trim goes up, it won't be as noticeable. I could kick myself for not having the confidence to do the tile on my own ...next time!! Grout work on the tiles around the shower and tub happen today, whenever EBS opens.

The Kitchen is looking great, and we finalized the design yesterday. Our new hire, 21 year old Marcus, is doing a good job. The two of us came up with a design that works, simple and straightforward. I cannot believe that he has a lot of the framing work done already.
Where the broom is will be a granite topped island and there will be either open shelves on either side of the window or, if time allows, cupboards. I love the sink, which was in the original kitchen, so I decided to use it again, it's enamel over cast iron.

I found a 1" thick figured birch plywood at Home Depot, which I think will look great for countertops. We made the "L" where the stove will go measure only 8' from the wall, so a single sheet of the birch can be used and we won't have a seam to worry about.

1 comment: