Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday:

The cork floor is finished and looks incredible! The two of us did the bulk of the floor on Saturday, me rolling and gluing tiles and the floor and Greg snapping them into place. Greg spent all yesterday sitting cross legged on the floor cutting around door moldings and walls and fitting in the tile. He did an amazing job.

Two things we know for next time: The floor has to be so level with no low spots, because you will end up with slightly indented tiles every where. a rubber mallet helps a lot!!! We bought one at the last minute and the first time I used it to flatten down the seams, the tiles just kind of melded together, it was awesome.

So, the tiles cost us $97 a box and we used about 8 boxes (retail $195 a box). The glue cost me $75 for three gallons (retail $75 a gallon) and it took us about 15 hours to install. I think we saved about $1400-1600 all told.

While Greg did the perimeter yesterday, I painted a lot more of the downstairs. I have just the living room to go and half of the hallway upstairs plus the trim. We decided to use the gray color wash on the walls throughout the downstairs. It is a beautiful color that changes with the light of the room, and is pretty neutral. Overall, the color reminds me of the pickled cypress that my grandparents had in their house in Florida. I am using a two parts water to one part paint mixture and so far have only used a quart of paint! $15.00 to paint most of the downstairs of Sunnyside.....not too bad.

Bought the Jenn- Aire downdraft roll in stove that was on sale at MacLeods in Belfast. Everyone told me it was the best move. It's black to match the granite on the island. It will look great with the natural maple counter tops.

I think that is it for now. My sister and some friends are coming to stay at Little Bohemia this week so they can use the house as a base for hiking and going on a Puffin Cruise in Bar Harbor. Gotta go make the beds there.

No comments:

Post a Comment