Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I spent the previous 36 hours on the road. Monday morning I left at 4am to make the 10:45 Wood's Hole Ferry to Martha's Vineyard. I had to pick up a colleague down in Massachusetts on the way and we missed the early ferry by about 2 minutes. We went over and back and I made it to a friend's house in Salem, Massachusetts Monday night before I passed out in my pork loin!

Before I left, I went before the board of overseers of the Village of Bayside and got permission to bury my own power line. I had to get their permission because my contractor will have to dig through a Village owned path that borders Sunnyside's Northernmost property line. This will get the largest power line out of the view. Small steps...small steps....I did mention the village, though I do not think it registered with them, that three of the four houses whose electricity comes from that pole, have lines coming into their cottages that are not to code.

The weather has been so nice here that I am itching to start work on the exterior of the house. I started the other day by scraping and sanding down the front doors. I originally thought that the doors were grain painted, but I was wrong. There is a lot of scraping and sanding to do and so I'd better get started. I also want to replace the porch posts. Right now, the posts are laminated and turned "Victorian" posts and the laminated boards are starting to separate because they were never painted. We always planned on replacing the posts and going back to the original intent, but every time I see one of the posts cracking and separating, I just want to go right out and do it that very minute.

The foam guys are coming this week to estimate for insulating.

Another beautiful week in paradise! It is supposed to get up in the 60s this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment