Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Demolition progresses rapidly. Greg got up blessed early yesterday and by the time I awoke and remembered him getting up, he had half the ceiling down on the second floor of the cottage. The ceiling was a low hung homosote ceiling with stained trim pieces in between the sheets like you see below. This is the bathroom ceiling, which I have to take down today. The ceiling in the bedrooms was so low that I could stand on my toes and bust my head through the homosote sheets. Now it looks like this:
We will raise the height of the cross ties and then take the walls all the way up to the peak, creating airy spaces that are perfect for summer houses. Of course the window comes out as well and will be replaced with more appropriate windows.

I stayed home for part of the morning and did real life things, like try and interest clients in artwork coming up for sale. I took the dogs over to Sunnyside around 10am and Greg had just finished with the upstairs. It looks amazing, but he was tired and cranky, so I made him walk with me for a hour...it was nice enough to take the dogs swimming for a minute, so they had a great time.

Greg took the dogs home and I decided that it was nice enough that I should get the two air conditioners out of the upstairs windows where they have been for 30 + years. It didn't take but a bit of yanking and out they came. I now just have to add some plastic sheeting to the exterior of the windows and we be good to go for the winter, or until we get some new windows.

Before:


After:

The absence of the air conditioners really opens up these little windows on the inside. There was actually sun streaming through this window, giving so much more air and light to the rooms upstairs. The cross breeze is amazing and I can see how the architecture of the dormer will play into our charm scheme when done up properly:

I believe the temperature for November 9th was around 60 degrees yesterday, so I took the opportunity to rake the leaves on the lawn...10 bags worth. I arrived home last night sore and barely able to move!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment